Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on whatsapp


3 - 0
Full Time

Despite having to play for ninety minutes in ten men, Gzira United joined Naxxar Lions in seventh place on 21 points as they defeated Gudja United 3-0 at the Tony Bezzina Stadium on Sunday.

This was the third win in five matches for Gzira, who now lie one point ahead of Balzan and Mosta and three ahead of Valletta and Santa Lucia. Gudja on the other hand, remain anchored at the bottom of the table with six points as they suffered their eleventh defeat.

The Maroons were reduced to ten men after just four minutes after Marcelo Dias received two yellow cards in quick succession for showing disapproval towards the referee’s decision to show him a yellow card.

However, Gzira took the lead on the 19th minute when Lucas Macula, served by Brooklyn Borg on the left, rounded a defender before beating goalkeeper Justin Spiteri with a shot from the edge of the area which the Gudja goalkeeper could only deflect into the net.

On the 32nd minute, Andrew Cohen’s side were awarded a penalty after Rodrigue Nanitelamio floored Brookly Borg inside the area and from the penalty spot, Zachary Scerri converted.

Gudja had the opportunity to reduce the gap five minutes from the end of the first half when they were also awarded a penalty when Stephen Owusu was fouled just inside the area by Jackson Mendoza but Matias Muchardi’s effort was saved in two attempts by Zarkov.

Five minutes in added time, Gzira scored the third goal when Luis Riascos sent Thaylor through on the right and off the latter’s assist Kyle Spence hit home from close range.




After four successive draws, Balzan returned to winning ways as they defeated Gudja 2-0 at the Tony Bezzina Stadium on Sunday. A result which condemned both Gudja United and Sirens to playing in the Challenge League next season.

Read More »



Sign Up & Stay Connected

Get on the List! Become a member of our online community and join our football family to receive the latest updates.