Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on whatsapp


1 - 1
Full Time

Marsaxlokk earned another precious point in their bid to steer further away from the danger zone as they held Gudja United to a 1-1 draw.

The result enabled Pablo Doffo’s side to extend their positive run to four matches and move tenth, one point ahead of Sirens.

For Gudja, this result hardly made any difference as they remain seventh as they continued to lose pace with the top six teams. In fact, they trail Hibernians and Balzan by five points although the latter teams have a game in hand.

Gudja had goalkeeper James Pisani deputising for Glenn Zammit while Juan Bolanos was ruled out by suspension. Marsaxlokk, on the other hand, could not count on Oscar Carniello.

Marsaxlokk had the first attempt at goal on 10 minutes with a Santiago Ferraris free-kick ending just over.

Gudja replied with a cross by Karl Micallef from the right from which Vito Plut headed wide eight minutes later.

Gudja took the lead on the half-hour. James Arthur delivered a cross and Tatsuro Nagamatsu headed home past goalkeeper Marko Drobnjak.

Subscribe to Gudja United’s official YouTube channel

Marsaxlokk tried to react and went close to equalising with a Terence Vella header off a corner by Aguirre on 39 minutes.

However, four minutes from half-time, Marsaxlokk levelled matters.

Santiago Moracci provided the assist from the right and Claudio Bonanni slotted the ball past goalkeeper James Pisani.

In added time, the Southseasiders threatened once again with a Leandro Aguirre freekick which was turned into a corner by Pisani.

In the second half, Marsaxlokk showed greater determination, especially in the early stages. 

On 70 minutes, substitute Tiago Fonseca concluded a good solo effort with a diagonal shot which ended just wide.

Three minutes later, a cross-shot by Aguirre was parried by Pisani.

Gudja replied with a Plut effort ending just wide on 75 minutes and then it was Aguirre who tried his luck with a cross-shot which was neutralised by the Gudja goalkeeper.

Referee: Trustin Farrugia Cann





# Player Position Goals Assists Yellow Cards Second Yellows Red Cards
26James PisaniGoalkeeper00000
14Neil Micallef 23Defender00000
5Andre Prates RodriguesDefender00000
88Farid ZunigaDefender001 (49')00
23Neil Tabone 14Defender00000
17Karl MicallefDefender00000
22Hubert VellaMidfielder00000
13James ArthurMidfielder01000
30Matias MuchardiMidfielder00000
77Nicolas NavarreteMidfielder00000
8Tatsuro Nagamatsu 11Midfielder1 (31')0000
11Shaisen Attard 8Forward00000
9Vito PlutForward00000




Hibernians bounced back from their close defeat to Marsaxlokk last week as they cruised past Gudja United 4-1 at the Centenary Stadium on Sunday.

It was a dominant performance for Silvio Vella’s side and Jurgen Degabriele was the star of the show as he scored two spectacular goals on either side of the half which stunned Gudja.

After a balanced opening, Yunusa Muritala made Glen Zammit work on six minutes as the Gudja goalkeeper dived to parry away the close-range effort.

Six minutes later, Degabriele opened proceedings with a wonderful strike from a freekick on the left which rose above the crowded area and dipped over Zammit into the net.

Things got worse for Gudja on 21 minutes when Dunstan Vella pushed the ball into the area and was tripped by Neil Micallef. Referee Alex Johnson whistled for a penalty and sent off Micallef with a direct red card for a last-man challenge.

After two minutes of debate, Jake Grech stepped up to the spot and fired home to put Hibernians further head.

By this point, the tide was completely against Gudja as Andrea Agostinelli’s side struggled to find any kind of rhythm. They did manage a shot on the half-hour but James Arthur’s effort was too easy for Marko Jovicic.

Thaylor nearly made it three after 38 minutes after meeting a cross into the area but his volleyed shot bounced over the bar.

Gudja went close to finding a way back five minutes from the break when Hubert Vella headed towards goal from a freekick but his effort went just wide.

In added time, Gabriel Artiles hit a cross into the area which Vella tipped over with a header but Zammit was alert to push the ball into a corner. From the ensuing flag-kick, Gonzalo Llerena missed a golden opportunity with the last kick of the half when he skied a goalmouth shot.

After the break, Hibs continued to dominate possession but against the run of play, Gudja found a way back seven minutes in when Nicolas Navarrete fired in a cross and with the ball heading out, Thaylor could not move out of the way and instead bumped the ball into his own net.

63 minutes in, Degabriele showed another moment of class to put his side further ahead. Substitute Zachary Grech put in a cross into the area and provided the assist, after just three minutes on the pitch, for the Hibs forward to flick the ball in mid-air past Zammit.

Gudja replied seven minutes later with a long-distance effort from Tatsuro Nagamatsu which went wide. They tried again through Vito Plut on 74 minutes from a quick counter-attack but his shot was off.

At the death, Muritala made the most of a convincing display to take over possession from a misplaced pass and fired past Zammit to add another goal right before the final whistle.

Read More »



Sign Up & Stay Connected

Get on the List! Become a member of our online community and join our football family to receive the latest updates.