Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
Share on whatsapp


1 - 2
Full Time

Gudja United earned their first three points of the season thanks to a 2-1 win over Mosta.

Led by new coach Andrea Agostinelli, Gudja created the better chances throughout the first half, taking a narrow lead.

Mosta leveled matters early in the second half as they showed considerable improvement. However, Gudja regained the lead late in the game to secure victory.

Both sides had three new faces in their starting line-up.

Agostinelli awarded Andre Prates, Vito Plut and Samuel Gomes a starting berth for Gudja.

On the other hand, Joseph Grech, who could not count on the suspended Clayton Failla, handed Patrick Mensah and Jacob Akrong a start along with Johnson Nsumoh who returned with the club following a spell on loan with Birkirkara.

Another new signing, Precious Tenebe was included as a substitute.

Gudja held the initiative in the early stages and Ahinga Selemani went close, concluding a good run on the right with a low shot which was turned into a corner by Mosta goalkeeper Ini Akpan on eight minutes.

Three minutes later, a Matias Muchardi freekick ended just over the bar.

Mosta replied with a Nsumoh cross from the right but Roderick Briffa headed just wide.

On 14 minutes, Gudja forged ahead.

Selemani received the ball from a throw-in from the left and served Samuel Gomes da Mata who controlled before hitting low past Akpan.

Mosta failed to react and Gudja threatened once again with a powerful drive by James Arthur which was parried by the Mosta custodian on 40 minutes.

A minute later, an overhead kick by Christ Ememe for Mosta was neutralised by Glenn Zammit.

Five minutes in the second half, Mosta restored equilibrium when Zachary Brincat served Ememe on the edge of the area and the latter passed the ball to the unmarked Geoffrey Acheampong whose powerful drive from outside the area gave Zammit no chance.

Gudja went close with a Muchardi header after Akpan saved partially a free-kick from the right on 59 minutes.

However, 12 minutes from time, Gudja regained the lead. Samuel Gomes released Llywelyn Cremona on the right and the latter squared low for Vito Plut to slot the ball past Akpan.

In the dying minutes, Mosta went all out in search of the equaliser and although they went close with an Nsumoh free-kick on 88 minutes and an angled shot by Acheampong deep into stoppage time, Gudja held on to take home the three points.

Referee: Emanuel Grech





# Player Position Goals Assists Yellow Cards Second Yellows Red Cards
1Glenn ZammitGoalkeeper00000
9Vito Plut 88Forward1 (78')0000
10Llywelyn Cremona 22Midfielder01000
11Ahinga Bienvenu SelemaniForward01000
13James ArthurMidfielder00000
14Neil MicallefDefender00000
22Hubert Vella 10Midfielder00000
23Neil TaboneDefender001 (25')00
30Matias MuchardiMidfielder00000
39Samuel Gomes 19Midfielder1 (14')0000
88Farid Zuniga 9Defender00000
3Juan Andres BolanosDefender00000
19Johann Bezzina 39Midfielder00000
5Andre Prates RodriguesDefender00000




After four successive draws, Balzan returned to winning ways as they defeated Gudja 2-0 at the Tony Bezzina Stadium on Sunday. A result which condemned both Gudja United and Sirens to playing in the Challenge League next season.

Read More »



Sign Up & Stay Connected

Get on the List! Become a member of our online community and join our football family to receive the latest updates.